External Test Credit
Main content start
You can apply a maximum of 45 quarter units of advanced testing credit or transfer coursework credit toward your undergraduate degree, including work completed in high school as part of an advanced placement curriculum. Stanford’s awarding of such credit is based on test scores and is subject to university and department approval.
If you are considering having external test credit posted to your student record, you should be aware of the following:
- Once Stanford posts credit to your student record, it cannot be removed except under the following circumstances:
- If you enroll in the duplicate Stanford course, Stanford removes your test credit.
- If you received duplicate unit credit for AP and IB exams in the same discipline, Stanford removes any duplicate credit.
- You may not use test credit to satisfy the General Education Requirements, with the exception of the University Foreign Language requirement. Scores of 4 or higher in a foreign language AP exam satisfy the Foreign Language requirement.
- If you are a transfer student who has not met the 90 unit maximum with incoming transfer credit, you may request additional units in external test credit (e.g., Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, etc.) by submitting your scores directly to Stanford.
Review Undergraduate Degrees & Programs: Advanced Placement for further information.
Test Credit Charts
Please review the following charts to determine the amount of credit for which you may be eligible based on your test scores:
- AP Credit Chart
- IB Credit Chart
- Other International Placement Exams (e.g. French Baccalaureate or German Abitur)