Refunds and Direct Deposits
We process all student refunds which include financial aid, fellowship stipends, and tuition overpayments.
For information about refunds of tuition upon withdrawal from the university, see Tuition Refund Schedule.
Account Credits and Refunds
Refunds of credit balances are issued to your domestic bank account. Exceptions are made for Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loans).
Refunds of financial aid funds begin the Wednesday prior to the start of each term. Processing of aid refunds can take up to two weeks.
Refunds are issued two ways:
- Direct Deposit –You can expect to see your funds within three business days after processing. Direct deposit is the quickest, easiest, and most secure way to receive your refund. View these instructions on how to enroll in direct deposit.
- Paper Check – If you are not enrolled in direct deposit, you will be sent a paper check using the mailing address listed in Axess. Please confirm your personal information in Axess is up to date. On average, paper checks take between 7 and 10 business days to process and mail.
It is still important to review your account even after receiving a refund. There may be times when you may have a balance owing even though a refund was sent.
Cash overpayments remain on your account to apply to future charges. Any remaining cash overpayments will be refunded annually by August 31 if you have graduated or been discontinued. Requests for a refund of an overpayment outside of this schedule are only accepted from you directly.
To receive your refunds through direct deposit, follow these steps to enroll. Please note student refunds are sent to only one bank account.
- Go to Axess at axess.stanford.edu
- Choose Direct Deposit from the options in the Student menu at the top of the page.
- Select Add Account
- Enter information into fields*:
- Routing number: Bank routing number (usually 9 digits)
- Account Number: Bank account number of checking or savings account (usually 10-12 digits; do not enter a credit/debit card number)
- Account Type: select checking or savings
- Deposit Type: select percent
- Amount or Percent: enter 100
- Deposit Order: enter 1
- Please note: Set up only one account. Using the split or multiple-account option will result in a deposit error.
- Verify your information and select Submit
*If in doubt, contact your bank for the correct numbers to use for direct deposit.