Official transcripts are available through the University Registrar in both electronic and paper versions.
Electronic transcripts are sent in PDF format. These transcripts are considered official documents and can be validated using the digital signature and certification from Stanford. Learn how to validate an electronic transcript.
The majority of electronic transcripts are emailed within the hour. Requests that require additional research time will be delivered within 3-5 business days. Electronic transcripts can be sent to yourself, a third party, AMCAS, or LSAC.
All paper transcripts are mailed and individually packaged.
Transcripts are mailed within two business days. Please allow an additional 5-7 days for mail delivery within the United States, and 15-20 for international delivery (Expedited shipping is available).
Each transcript has the signature of the Registrar and Stanford University seal. Envelopes are not signed or sealed (stamped) across the flap. We do not fax transcripts. Faxed transcripts are not official and the university cannot ensure confidentiality for any faxed documents.
Program Statuses on the Transcript
Academic programs include a status effective the day the transcript was printed. Stanford uses the following program statuses:
- Active — you are currently active in the program indicated
- Leave of Absence — you are currently on an official leave of absence from active study.
- Completed — you have met the program requirements and, for degree programs, your degree was awarded
- Discontinued — you are no longer enrolled in the program (includes post-doctoral scholars whose appointments have ended)
- Dismissed — you were dismissed from the university
- Canceled — program canceled, the student was administratively withdrawn for cause, or the student passed away while enrolled
Grades are frozen at the time of graduation. You have one year after your degree conferral to update grades of “GNR”, “L”, or “N” or they are locked in their existing status.
Transcripts for special populations
Summer Session Students
Summer Session and all other non-matriculated students may request a transcript directly through the Document Ordering Portal.
Note: If you are an international student in Summer Session with no Social Security Number (SSN), input "0000" in the SSN section in the Document Ordering Portal when requesting a transcript.
Stanford Center for Professional Development (SCPD)
SCPD students may also request transcripts through the University Registrar’s Office, using the instructions above.
Continuing Studies Students
Transcript requests for this population should be requested through the Continuing Studies Department. Please follow these instructions.