Third-Party Contracts (TPC)
Some students may be sponsored by a third party who commits to paying the student's tuition and/or other fees.
Stanford will invoice outside organizations (sponsors), which require a separate invoice for certain fees the sponsor agrees to pay on the student bill. This process is called Third-Party Contract (TPC) invoicing and is managed by our Student Financial Services (SFS) team.
Answer questions in this survey to discover if TPC invoicing is right for external funding of your educational costs.
You may be eligible for TPC if:
- You are a graduate student.
- You are an undergraduate student who is being sponsored by a government organization (e.g. U.S. Armed Forces).
You may not be eligible for TPC if:
- You’re billed directly by the Stanford Center of Professional Development (SCPD) program.
- You are an undergraduate student who is not being sponsored by a government organization. These students must work with the Financial Aid Office and/or program department regarding their sponsorship funding.
- You are a student using a State Prepaid Tuition Plan* as the funding organization.
- You are a VSI who is not being sponsored by a government organization. These students must work with the program department regarding their sponsorship funding.
- You hold ownership (full or partial) benefits of sponsoring organization.
Outside organizations may be eligible for TPC if:
- They will be sponsoring all or most of the tuition and fees.
- They require an itemized invoice addressed in their name.
- They will send payment directly to Stanford University.
Outside organizations may not be eligible for TPC if:
- Payments will be sent directly to the student.
- Only proof of registration or a copy of the student bill is required.
- The third party is a State Prepaid Tuition Plan* organization.
- The third party is a Stanford University department, family member or personal/family-owned business.
*Stanford does not invoice State Prepaid Tuition Plans on behalf of students. If you have such a plan, review this Additional Methods of Payment webpage.
Eligible University Bill Charges
- Campus Health Service Fee
- Cardinal Care health insurance (mandatory unless waived)
- Course Reader (GSB students only)
- Dining (university plans)
- Document Fee (mandatory one-time fee)
- GSB Study/Non-Study Trip (GSB students only)
- Housing (university contracted)
- Interpersonal Dynamics (GSB students only)
- Law Student Course Materials
- Music Lab Fee
- Orientation Fee (Undergraduate students only)
- SBSSA Activity Fee (GSB students only)
- Student Activities Fee (ASSU)
- Telecommunications Fee
- Visiting Student Researcher (VSR) Fee