Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Personal Information Updates

Main content start

Active students may update their personal information at any time. Some updates may be completed via Axess self-service while others may require staff assistance. Review the information below to determine how to update your personal information. Graduated or discontinued students are unable to update their personal information with the university.

Make these updates yourself

You are able to update the following information yourself via Axess. 

How to make updates

To update any of the fields listed above, follow these steps:

  1. Navigate to and log in. 
  2. Once you’ve logged in, click on the STUDENT tab and scroll down to the “Personal Information” section. 
  3. Select which field you’d like to update and input your information.

Updating your preferred name*

You may request that your “preferred name” be different from your legal name of record. 

The “preferred name” is used for services such as email, appears on the unofficial transcript, and is used as the display name in Axess and on class/grade rosters. 

Here are a few examples:

  • A student whose legal name is “Mary Jane Poe” might use the preferred name “MJ Poe''
  • A student whose legal name is “Frederick Andrew Wright” might use the preferred name “Andy Wright.”

If you have updated your preferred name in Axess, you may also wish to update your preferred name in the following systems:

In rare circumstances, a new Stanford ID card may be requested to reflect your name change. You may request an updated ID card by contacting the Student Services Center

Social Security Number (SSN) & Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Students may input their SSN or ITIN directly into Axess. 

To update your SSN/ITIN, follow these steps:

  1. Navigate to and log in.
  2. Once you’ve logged in, hover over the STUDENT tab (don’t click) and locate “Submit SSN/ITIN” on the Student Mega Menu. 
  3. Submit your SSN or ITIN directly in Axess.

If you are unable to submit your SSN directly via Axess, please make an appointment with an SSC Specialist to update your record.

Request these updates 

Students must request staff assistance to update these personal information fields:

  • Primary name/legal name of record
  • Date of birth
  • Marital status
  • Sex

To update one or more of the following fields, you must complete this Personal Information Update request form. 

Required documentation

When submitting your request form, be sure to include the required documentation. The documentation required for each request can be found below:

Primary Name / Legal Name of Record (Two documents required)

  • Choose one: birth certificate, passport (current), driver’s license (current), marriage license, court order, divorce decree
  • 2nd photo ID (e.g. student ID card)

Date of Birth (Two documents required)

  • Choose one: birth certificate, passport (current), driver’s license (current)
  • 2nd photo ID (e.g. student ID card)

Marital Status (Two documents required)

  • Marriage license or divorce decree
  • Photo ID (e.g. student ID card)

Sex (One document required)

  • Photo ID (e.g. student ID card)

Updates for international students

For international students, approval from Bechtel International Center is required to update some of the fields above. Please discuss your personal information update with a Bechtel Advisor and obtain written approval prior to submission of your request. Submissions that do not include approval from Bechtel may not be processed.

Updates for students receiving financial aid 

For students receiving financial aid, you are strongly encouraged to discuss your personal information change with a Financial Aid Counselor and understand any potential impacts before submitting your request.