Directory & Privacy Settings
Review the information below to understand your directory information and student privacy settings.
Stanford regards the following items of information as student “directory information,” that is, information that the university may make available to any person upon specific request (and without student consent):
- Email addresses
- Specific terms of attendance at Stanford
- Stanford degree(s) awarded and date(s)
- Major(s), minor(s), and field(s)
- University degree honors
- Student theses and dissertations
- Participation in officially recognized sports or activities*
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams*
- Institution attended immediately prior to Stanford
- ID card photographs
Restricting your student directory information
You may prohibit the release of any of the information listed above – except those marked with an asterisk – by designating which information should not be released in the Privacy Settings of Axess.
You may prohibit the release of your name –and consequently all other information– after an appointment with the Student Services Center to discuss the ramifications of the action.
Student theses and dissertations can be restricted through the publishing options and embargo settings you choose during submission.
If you have questions regarding student records, contact the Student Services Center at stanfordFERPA@stanford.edu.
The following default “privacy settings” are applied to your student record upon admission to Stanford University:
- Stanford Only - Viewable only to those in the Stanford community through SUNet ID log in
- Mailing Address
- Stanford Directory (local)
- Campus Work Address
- Stanford Directory (local) Phone Number
- Stanford Student Residence Phone Number
- Primary Email
- Secondary Email
- Birth Date and Place
- Marital Status
- Public - Viewable to anyone through Stanford’s public directory
- Mobile Phone Number
- Campus Work Phone Number
- Major, Minor
- Prior Institutions Attended
- Terms of Attendance at Stanford
- Photo ID
- Private - information not viewable by anyone
- Stanford Student Residence Address
- Always Private - information not viewable by anyone and not made available for you to change
- Billing Address
- Home Address
- Home Phone Number
Update Privacy Settings
Once matriculated, students with an active SUNET ID can change their Privacy Settings in Axess.
1. Log into your Axess account.
2. Select "Student" from the top menu.
3. Select Privacy Settings from the left navigation.
1. Under the Privacy column, go to the category you would like to change.
2. Use the drop down menu to select the privacy setting you prefer.
3. Submit your updated selections.
Consent to Use of Photographic Images
Your registration as a student and attendance at or participation in classes and other campus and university activities constitutes an agreement by you to the university’s use and distribution (both now and in the future) of your image or voice in photographs, videotapes, electronic reproductions, or audiotapes of such classes and other campus and university activities. If you are participating in a class where such photographing or recording is to take place and do not wish to have your image or voice so used, you should raise the matter in advance with the instructor.