1098-T Eligibility and Access
This section will help you determine your eligibility to receive the 1098-T form, how to find the form, and how to request it if you cannot access it online. It also explains how your personal data (name, SSN/ITIN, and address) are reflected on the form.
1098-T Eligibility and Access FAQs
- Will I receive a 1098-T?
- How do I opt-in to receive and view the 1098-T electronically?
- When will I receive the 1098-T form?
- I am an international student. Can I request the 1098-T?
- If I already graduated and need to request the 1098-T, how do I do that?
- Why do I need to report my SSN or ITIN number by the end of December?
- Can I request an address change on my 1098-T?
You will automatically receive a 1098-T form if you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and your enrollment credits are leading to a post-secondary degree from Stanford. Please follow the opt-in process to receive and view your 1098-T electronically.
You will not receive a 1098-T if you are an international student (non-resident alien), a student in Continuing Studies or SCPD (except for HCP), a postdoc, a visiting researcher or visiting student.
1. Log into Axess (student role)
2. My Finances > Pay & Tax Statements > 1098-T
3. Click "grant consent" (look for the rectangle toward the bottom right of the screen)
4. Read the agreement, click the checkbox and then click submit.
5. When available (on or about January 31 each year), select the year link to download your 1098-T.
If you opt to receive your 1098-T electronically before the end of the calendar year, you will receive an email in late January notifying you when the form is available in Axess. If you do not opt to receive your 1098-T electronically, a paper form will be mailed to your home address on file with Stanford. Stanford is required, by law, to provide Form 1098-T to eligible students no later than January 31*.
*Mailed paper forms will be postmarked by January 31.
Full-time international students who are considered US residents for tax purposes may request a 1098-T form. See information on establishing a presence in the USA to be considered a US resident for tax purposes at IRS Substantial Presence Test in the US.
You can request a copy of the 1098-T by submitting a Request a 1098-T help ticket to the Student Services Center.
If you no longer have access to view your 1098-T in Axess, you can request a copy of the 1098-T by submitting this help ticket to the Student Services Center: Request a 1098-T.
Please include your Stanford alumni email address and/or your personal email address on the ticket so that we can send you the form via secure email.
The University must report accurate student financial data to the IRS. Both your name and Social Security (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification (ITIN) Number must be correct and match the information used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) before Stanford begins the process of generating your 1098-T.
The 1098-T normally includes your home address, whether it is in the US or abroad.
Requests to update the student’s address are not fulfilled since the form does not need to be sent with the tax returns.