Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

FAQs for Grad Students with Funding

Main content start

Why is it important to check my financial account?

  • Depending on the type of funding you receive, some funding may pay your charges directly, while other funding may disburse to you as a stipend/refund or as bimonthly assistantship salary payments.
  • Depending on how your funding is provided, you may need to pay a balance on your account. This is true even if you are “fully” funded.
  • Sometimes charges may be added after your stipend/refund has disbursed. If this happens, you will need to pay the balance due.
  • Late fees accrue to past-due balances. Past-due balances also result in financial holds that prevent enrollment.

How do I view my financial account and funding?

  • Review your financial account details and history by logging into your student financial account via Axess (Student role) > “My Finances” tab > Bill & Payment System > View & Pay My Bill. To see line-item details, click the "Account Activity" tab and select a quarter to review.
  • Review your funding details in Axess by logging into Axess (Student role) > “My Finances” tab > Visit Finances Home Page > Graduate Financial Support

When do I need to pay my bill?

How do I pay my bill?

  • The most efficient way to make a payment is via Axess. Browse other payment options.
  • Payroll deduction provides an option for graduate student Research Assistants (RA) and Teaching Assistants (TA) to deduct a portion of your bimonthly salary to pay your account charges instead of paying the full amount due early in the quarter. Payroll deduction can only cover your current-quarter charges, and you must re-enroll in the plan annually (beginning with Autumn quarter).
    • In most cases, the payroll deduction system serves students well. However, please be aware that if your charges are adjusted, your quarterly payroll deduction plan may stop. For example, if you make changes to your housing after payroll deduction has been set up for the quarter, the resulting adjustment of charges can cause your payroll deduction plan to stop. If your payroll deduction plan stops mid-quarter, you’ll receive more "take-home" pay during the remaining quarterly pay periods – but will also leave part of your quarterly balance unpaid. You will need to make a payment via Axess to cover your remaining balance.

When will I receive my funding? 

  • Sign up for direct deposit to ensure quick processing of any payments/stipends/refunds.
  • Funding may not be posted to your account until close to the billing due date. (For Autumn quarter, departments typically finalize funding by Oct 15.)
  • You’ll need to be enrolled full-time for funding to disburse. Review the academic calendar for the quarterly “at-status enrollment deadline” to receive your fellowship stipend or financial aid refund within the first week of term.
  • If you have an Assistantship, review the typical salary pay-period schedule.

What about subsidy for Cardinal Care health insurance?

  • Unless you waive coverage at the beginning of each academic year prior to the deadline, you will be enrolled in Cardinal Care Health Insurance. Cardinal Care provides coverage September 1 to August 31 and is billed in three installments (Autumn, Winter, Spring). 
  • Cardinal Care Subsidy. Stanford subsidizes the Cardinal Care premium for graduate students funded by Assistantships (RA or TA) or equivalent Fellowships. The level of subsidy is tied to the level of funding.

Do I have to pay taxes on the funding I receive?

What is the federal tax withholding for international students on fellowship?

  • For international students on fellowship, federal tax withholding typically posts to your account as a charge each quarter. You are responsible for paying this tax as part of your monthly student bill.
  • How can you calculate your federal tax withholding?
    • Add up your total fellowship aid for the quarter, and subtract excludable fees to determine the amount of taxable aid. (Excludable fees = Tuition, Course/lab fees, Document Fee, Student Activities fee, Cardinal Care Health Insurance, and the Campus Health Service Fee.)
    • Multiply the amount of taxable aid by 14% to determine the federal tax withholding amount.
  • If your quarterly fellowship funding or charges change, your federal tax withholding may change.
  • If your federal tax withholding is posted or adjusted after your funding disburses at the start of the quarter, you will likely need to make a payment to cover this charge.
  • You may be eligible to claim exemption due to a tax treaty (W-8BEN).

Where do I go if I need help understanding my financial account or funding?

  • The Student Services Center is here to help! If you need help making a payment, making sense of your account (charges? credits? refunds?), or with your 1098-T, please submit a help request. For additional means of contact, please see our help page
  • Typically, your department manages the funding on your graduate student account. If you have questions about your funding, please contact your departmental Student Services Officer or Program Manager, or your program’s dedicated Financial Aid Office.

How can I improve my financial wellness?

  • Financial wellness means having financial security and financial freedom of choice, in the present and in the future. Stanford’s award-winning Mind Over Money program equips you with a foundation to be financially well during your time at Stanford and beyond. Many engagement options, including free financial coaching.

What other financial support programs does Stanford offer? 

  • Graduate Cash Advance: We know students may have financial needs before their funding disburses. The graduate cash advance is designed to help! 
  • Graduate Student Aid Fund: The Graduate Student Aid Fund assists graduate students with health-related University fees such as the Campus Health Service Fee and Cardinal Care Insurance premiums when those expenses create a significant financial hardship.
  • Emergency Grant-in-Aid: Assists graduate students who experience a financial emergency or unanticipated expenses (e.g., medical or dental) causing financial hardship.
  • Graduate Family Grant Program: Provides up to $15,000 per year per family to eligible graduate students with dependent children. Funds may be used flexibly as needed to cover expenses such as childcare, healthcare and rent.
  • Graduate Housing Loan: Loan from the university to help with move-in costs for off-campus housing, such as first and last month's rent and security deposit.