How Do I Request a Degree Certification Letter for an H-1B Visa Application?
If you have completed all your degree requirements in the Winter term and require verification for your H-1B visa application before your degree is conferred, you may request a Degree Certification Letter for H-1B.
For more detail about a Degree Certification for H-1B Visa applications, see Certifications and Verifications.
To request a Degree Certification for H-1B Visa application
- To initiate the request for a Degree Certification Letter for H-1B, submit a support request ticket that includes the following:
- Name & student ID number
- Name of degree(s) conferring in the Winter Quarter
- Delivery Method (student pick up at SSC or certified electronic PDF)
- If in-progress coursework is required for graduation, work with your instructors to ensure that your grades are submitted by grade submission deadline; see the Stanford academic calendar for dates.
- Contact your department’s student services administrator responsible for the quarterly graduation recommending list to ensure that you have satisfied all department requirements. Request that your student services administrator submits a support request to verify that department/school requirements are complete. If you have more than one major, minor programs, or more than one degree being conferred, each department/program must submit a separate support request confirming that your degree requirements are satisfied.
Note: Undergraduates in the School of Engineering should contact Engineering’s Office of Student Affairs.
- The student services administrator receives an email confirmation when they submit a support request. Ask that they forward a copy of this email to you for your records.
Note: Degree Certification Letters for H-1B are not issued until all your grades are submitted for coursework and the Registrar’s Office and the school/department has recommended you for graduation. For more detail about processing time for a Degree Certification for H-1B Visa applications, see Certifications and Verifications.
The Office of the University Registrar cannot guarantee that your Degree Certification for H-1B Visa will be ready by a certain date; however, requests should be processed by the April 1 application deadline. Requests are processed in the order in which they are received and are contingent upon the subsequent Support Request from the department/school confirming that degree requirements have been met. The letter is issued no sooner than the grading deadline of the Winter Quarter. Check the Academic Calendar for relevant dates.
You are encouraged to initiate your request as early as possible to allow time for the department/school and university to evaluate it for degree clearance.
You are encouraged to attend a Bechtel International Center H-1B workshop if you have any questions regarding the H-1B process. If you are interested in learning about Optional Practical Training (OPT), see the Bechtel International Center website and attend a mandatory practical training workshop.