How Do I Request a Degree Certification?
After a degree has been awarded, you can request a Degree Certification in electronic form through Axess or paper form through the Document Ordering Portal. (The Axess option is not available to you if you conferred your degree over five years ago.)
Due to the large number of requests, Stanford University does not provide individualized or personal requests. Students and alumni can ask for a cover letter by submitting a Service Request to accompany the certification which explains Stanford's policy and can be attached to the certification.
For more detail about a Degree Certification, see Certifications and Verifications.
For current or prospective employers: Stanford University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to act as its agent for purposes of enrollment and degree verification. The NSC is able to verify degrees for an employer only if you have not placed a privacy block on your academic record. Your name when enrolled and date of birth are required for identification purposes and degree verification. Additionally, your eight-digit Stanford Student ID number helps NSC complete the request faster. Please have the employer contact the National Student Clearinghouse for current verification information, instructions, and fees.
On this page:
Alumni who conferred their degree within the past five years
If you conferred your degree within the past five years, you can request an electronically certified proof of a degree certification document (PDF) or a paper version.
Electronic Degree Certification
- In the My Academics drop-down menu, select "Request Certification.
- Select Degree Certification
- Enter Contact Name and Email Address then click Submit. You will receive your degree certification via email within 15 minutes.
Paper Degree Certifications
Place your request through the Document Ordering Portal. The instructions below under Alumni who conferred their degree more than five years ago (even though you conferred your degree within the past five years) detail how to request the paper certification in the portal.
- Allow three to five business days for processing. Expedited shipping options are available.
Alumni who conferred their degree more than five years ago
If you conferred their degree more than five years ago, you can order proof of past enrollment or verification of a degree by visiting the Document Ordering Portal to request electronic or paper degree verifications.
Your official Degree Certifications is printed on official Stanford paper. It includes the signature of the University Registrar and the seal of the school.
- Go to the Document Ordering Portal and log in (or create an account if you don't yet have one).
- Select Degree Verification.
- This search box will allow you to send the degree certification electronically or by mail by entering an institution name, acronym, location, or email. Just below the search box is a link with the option to send it to yourself, another individual, or third party.
- Select a verification product type.
- Enter Order details: recipient name, email address, and/ or mailing address. Once all fields are completed click Continue.
- Enter order details by choosing appropriate selection from the pull down menus
- Acknowledgement of Consent must be provided to fulfill the order.
- Review Order Summary and click Complete Order.
- You will receive an Order Confirmation with a (DID) Document ID code.You will receive emails with the status of your order. You may also log back in and click on "Order Status" to access the information.