Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Graduate Degrees: Special Registration Statuses

Main content start

Terminal Graduate Registration (TGR)

Doctoral students who have been admitted to candidacy, completed all required courses and degree requirements other than the University oral exam and dissertation, completed 135 units or 10.5 quarters of residency (if under the old residency policy), and submitted a Doctoral Dissertation Reading Committee form, may request Terminal Graduate Registration status to complete their dissertations. Students pursuing Engineer degrees may apply for TGR status after admission to candidacy, completion of all required courses, and completion of 90 units or six quarters of residency (if under the old residency policy). Students enrolled in master's programs with a required project or thesis may apply for TGR status upon completion of all required courses and completion of 45 units. Students with more than one active graduate degree program must be TGR-eligible in all programs in order to apply for TGR status.

The TGR Final Registration status may also be granted for one quarter only to a graduate student who is working on 'Incomplete' grades in his or her final quarter or registering for one final term after all requirements are completed when Graduation Quarter is not applicable. TGR requirements above apply. Doctoral students under the term-based residency policy need nine quarters of residency to qualify for TGR Final Registration Status. Students on TGR Final Registration status may only enroll in their TGR course.

During the academic year TGR students must enroll for zero units in their department's TGR course in the appropriate section for their adviser (801 for master's and Engineer degree students or 802 for doctoral students). Students in TGR status are charged a special tuition rate and are certified as enrolled full time. TGR students may enroll in up to 3 units of course work per quarter at the TGR tuition rate without incurring additional tuition charges. TGR students may enroll in more than 3 units, in such cases tuition will be charged at the applicable unit rate. Courses completed while in TGR status cannot be applied towards requirements for any degree program. See the Minimum Progress Requirements for Graduate Students policy pages for information about satisfactory progress requirements for TGR students.

While enrollment in Summer Quarter is typically optional, degree programs, advisors, or funding sources may require students in TGR status to enroll. The minimum enrollment requirement in Summer Quarter is one unit or the appropriate TGR rate.

Graduate Petition for Part-time Enrollment

(Formerly Graduate Tuition Adjustment)

Requests to enroll for fewer than 8 units during the academic year are approved only in specific circumstances. Graduate students who need fewer than 8 remaining units to complete degree requirements or to qualify for TGR status, may register for one quarter on a unit basis (3 to 7 units) to cover the deficiency. This status may be used only once during a degree program. Coterminal students are not eligible for this status when their undergraduate career remains open. 

Matriculated and enrolled pregnant graduate students may request up to two quarters of part-time enrollment for an approved Childbirth Academic Accommodation; see the Pregnancy, Childbirth, Adoption and Lactation Policy and the GAP 5.9 Pregnancy, Childbirth, Adoption and Lactation.

International students should consult with Bechtel International Center prior to requesting part-time enrollment to ensure compliance with visa regulations.

All students requesting part-time enrollment should submit the Graduate Petition for Part-time Enrollment eForm.

Graduate Petition for Part-time Enrollment - OAE Accommodation

Graduate students with disabilities covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act may enroll in an approved reduced course load as recommended by the Office of Accessible Education (OAE). Students who have been approved by OAE may request this status for multiple quarters. Coterminal students who are approved to go on this status by OAE will also be approved by the Office of the University Registrar.

International students should consult with Bechtel International Center prior to requesting part-time enrollment to ensure compliance with visa regulations.

All students requesting part-time enrollment on the basis of an OAE Accommodation should submit the Graduate Petition for Part-Time Enrollment -OAE Accommodation eForm to ensure proper routing and processing of their request. 

Graduation Quarter Status

Registration is required for the term in which a student defends and/or submits a dissertation, or has a degree conferred. Students who meet all the following conditions are eligible to be assessed a special tuition rate for the quarter in which they are receiving a degree:

  1. All course work, degree requirements, and residency requirements for all graduate degree programs, including joint degree programs, have been completed prior to the start of the requested Graduation Quarter.
  2. The student has formally applied to graduate in Axess.
  3. The student has only to defend and/or submit the dissertation, project, or master's thesis by the deadline for submission in the term designated as the graduation quarter.
  4. The student has filed all necessary forms regarding graduation quarter before the first day of the term chosen as graduation quarter.

A student who is returning after reinstatement in which all degree requirements are complete, with the exception of the dissertation defense and/or submission, is eligible to reinstate into a Graduation Quarter status.

Students on graduation quarter are registered at Stanford and, therefore, have the rights and privileges of registered students. Graduation Quarter status may be used only once during a degree program. There is a tuition rate of $150 for the graduation quarter. Students in Graduation Quarter status and enrolled in a course numbered 801 or 802 are certified as enrolled full time. Students may not enroll in any additional units.