Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Undergraduate Degrees & Programs: Special Registration Status

Main content start

The following reduced-tuition categories can be requested by undergraduates in the final stages of their degree program. The deadline for all special registration status requests to be submitted is the Preliminary Study List deadline of the applicable degree conferral quarter. Students must first apply to graduate through Axess if requesting any of the following statuses.

Permit to Attend for Services Only (PSO)

Undergraduates in their terminal quarter who are completing honors theses, clearing incomplete grades, or have completed all requirements and are requiring a registration status to utilize university resources, may petition one time only for PSO status. PSO does not permit any course enrollment.

Part-Time Enrollment for Undergraduates (Terminal Quarter Only)

Undergraduates who have completed at least twelve full-time quarters may petition to register for part-time enrollment at a reduced tuition rate for their final quarter, but must register for at least eight units. Undergraduate dual degree students must complete at least fifteen full-time quarters before petitioning for reduced tuition in their final quarter.  Students receiving financial aid should check with the Financial Aid Office for eligibility if they are seeking aid beyond 12 quarters of enrollment. Undergraduates must apply to graduate through Axess if applying for the Part-Time Enrollment special registration status.

Last Units out of Residence

Students may petition to complete their final 15 units out of residence to complete their degree requirements. The final 15 units of transfer credit must meet the criteria in the undergraduate Transfer Work policy section. Students must submit the Last Units Out of Residence Petition to determine eligibility, request pre-approval of the transfer work, and request a registration status. Students should select either the Graduation Quarter or the Permit to Attend for Services Only special registration status on the Last Units Out of Residence petition.

Graduation Quarter

Undergraduates may petition one time only for Graduation Quarter in their terminal quarter only if:

  1. filing a Last Units Out of Residence Petition in order to complete up to 15 final units at another institution; or
  2. returning from a discontinued status and filing a Request to Return and Register in Undergraduate Study in order to confer their degree; or
  3. if all degree requirements, including honors theses, have been completed and student requires a registration status to graduate, but will not be using University resources or housing.

Coterminal students are only eligible for the Graduation Quarter special registration status if they are applying to confer both the undergraduate and graduate degree in the same quarter. Undergraduates may be eligible for Graduation Quarter status in these three situations only if the student has completed all graduation requirements and will not be utilizing University resources, including housing. The deadline for the completed Graduation Quarter petition is the Preliminary Study List Deadline of the applicable quarter. Undergraduates must apply to graduate through Axess if applying for the Graduation Quarter special registration status.