Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Your New Axess is Now Here

Log in to Axess for an improved experience at

Learn more about the changes >>

Coterm Program Changes

Main content start

Adding or Changing Master’s Degree Programs

If you want to change from one master’s degree to another before the conferral of your bachelor’s degree, you must first meet with the Coterminal Advisor in Academic Advising to discuss next steps and ensure your programs can be changed.

All courses, including any prior course transfer from the undergraduate career, remain in the graduate career. The new degree program may choose not to approve all courses towards the new master’s degree program requirements. If your bachelor's degree has not yet been conferred, you may elect to transfer courses back to your undergraduate career. Any coterm program that has been discontinued appears on the transcript in a “Discontinued” status.

Making changes with an active undergraduate degree

If, as a coterminal student, you want to change from one master’s degree program to another before the conferral of your undergraduate degree, you may do so by taking the following steps: 

  1. Contact a coterm advisor in Academic Advising to discuss plans for your coterm program change. 
  2. Apply to the new coterm program. (Refer to the Coterm Admissions for additional information.) You should secure admission to the new program before proceeding with the change.
    • ​If admitted, you should review your transcript. You should transfer any courses that are assigned to your graduate career from the previous program that are no longer applicable to the new coterm program via the Coterm Course Transfer process.
    • If not admitted, you should notify a coterm advisor in Academic Advising that they should not complete the program change.
  3. Submit an approved Request to Permanently Withdraw from Degree Program form to a coterm advisor in Academic Advising
    • Note: all programs that you discontinue appear on your transcript in a “Discontinued” status. 
  4. Optional: a personal statement 

Making changes with a conferred undergraduate degree

Once your coterm's undergraduate degree is conferred, you can request graduate program changes (including switching from one master's degree program to another and/or adding another graduate degree, such as a Ph.D.) via the Graduate Program Authorization Petition process